Vegan Queso Blanco
I decided to post an extra recipe this week. I’ve tried a few recipes for vegan queso or nacho cheese made from scratch, but never cared for it. This recipe does use store-bought vegan cheese, so it may not be available or everyone. I have only ever used Daiya cheese to make this recipe because I hated the other brands sold near me. Some other recipes out there may be healthier because they are made with potatoes and eggplant (yes I have tried recipes mainly consisting of these), but dairy-based queso isn’t healthy either. Vegan queso is something nice to take to a party, and everyone will love it.
*Costs listed are my personal costs, they will differ upon availability, location, brands, and sales.
Vegan Queso Blanco
- ¼ onion, minced $0.50
- 1 ½ cup unsweetened original almond milk $0.60
- 1 tbsp cornstarch $0.06
- 1-2 tbsp pickled jalapenos, diced $0.15
- ¼ tsp lime juice $0.06
- 1 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese (I suggest Daiya brand) $4.20
- ¼ tsp cumin $0.05
- ¼ tsp salt $0.05
- 1 tbsp pickled jalapeno brine $0.01
Total Cost: $5.68
Cost per serving: $1.14
- Saute the onion in a saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the almond milk and the cornstarch. Wish for five minutes until it thickens.
- Add in the jalapenos and lime. You can also add some cumin, salt, or brine from the jalapenos for added flavor. It all depends on how you want your queso to taste.
- Add the vegan cheese and stir until it melts. It may take a few minutes for everything to meld together, whisk often.
- While the queso will be a little lumpy from the onions and jalapenos, it should still be quite smooth and creamy. It will look just like dairy-based queso, and it will even taste like it, shocking! Serve with chips, make a quesadilla, whatever you want.
If you end up making this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @emilymeansy